Monday, April 25, 2011

World Penguin Day

I love penguins just about as much as I love cooking.  One of friends informed that today is recognized as World Penguin Day.  Adelie penguins of Ross Island begin a northward migration on or around April 25.  So in honor of my favorite little creatures, tonights menu will be seafood inspired.  Tonight I made Crab and Seafood Stuffed Shells.  This is the menu as I found it:
1 (12 oz.) box jumbo pasta shells
1 (6 oz.) can crabmeat, drained
1 (6.5 oz.) can small shrimp, drained
3 tsp. minced celery
1 T. minced onion
1 C. creamy salad dressing
1 C. shredded Swiss cheese

1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil.  Once the water is boiling, stir in the pasta shells.  Cook until al dente.  Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
2. While the pasta is cooking, mix together the remaining ingredients.
3. Stuff each shell with some of the seafood mixture, and place into a serving dish.  Keep refrigerated until read to serve.

Following this recipe the shells would be served cold.  I decided I wanted to serve these warm, so I tweaked the recipe.  This is something I do a lot to make a recipe fit the ingredients I have and so it also contains ingredients I like.  The following is the recipe as I made it:
1 (12 oz.) box jumbo pasta shells
4 oz. imitation crabmeat, chopped
1 (6.5 oz.) can small shrimp, drained
1 T. dried chives
1 T. minced onion
1/2 C. mayonaise
1/2 C. cream cheese
1 1/2 C. shredded Swiss cheese, divided
pepper to taste

1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil.  Once the water is boiling, stir in the pasta shells.  Cook until al dente.  Drain and rinse pasta with cold water.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
3. While the pasta is cooking, mix together the remaining ingredients.
4. Stuff each shell with some of the seafood mixture, and place into a casserole dish.
5. Sprinkle the shells with remaining Swiss cheese. 
6. Cover bottom of dish with a little bit of water to prevent the shells from burning.
7. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 mintues.  Make sure cheese is melted, sprinkle with dried or fresh parsley and serve.

This is a really simple recipe and it gives you a chance to get the dishes done while the shells bake!  Happy Penguin Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment