Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lobster Bisque

Luke and I went to Chicago this past April for a long weekend.  We had a great time and ate at some really great restaurants.  One night for dinner, instead of ordering an appetizer we both had a bowl of soup.  The soup of the day was lobster bisque.  This is something I had never had before and I absolutely loved it.  I decided, this can't be that hard to make, so I looked around to see if I could find a recipe.  The below is what I found.

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil

  • 1 white onion, chopped

  • 1/2 cup dry white wine

  • 1/2 cup cooking sherry

  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour

  • 1/2 can (6 ounce) tomato paste

  • 1 1/2 cups chicken broth

  • 5 cups milk

  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 1/2 teaspoon seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)

  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

  • 1 green onion, finely chopped

  • 1 1/2 cups cooked lobster claw, cut into bite-sized pieces

  • Directions

    1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the chopped onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the white wine and sherry. Cook and stir until the liquid has reduced by half. Sprinkle in the flour while stirring to ensure there are no lumps. Once a thick paste has formed, stir in the tomato paste, then pour in the chicken broth and milk. Season with cayenne pepper, black pepper, seafood seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, and green onion.
    2. Cook and stir over medium heat until the bisque begins to simmer, about 15 minutes. Stir in the lobster meat, and reheat before serving.

    Nutritional Information

    Amount Per Serving  Calories: 281 | Total Fat: 11.1g | Cholesterol: 42mg

    I love making soups so this was not difficult to do at all and it tastes great.  I added some chopped up mushrooms to cook with the onions, because I love mushrooms and onions together.  I also didn't have any cooking sherry, so I used 2 different kinds of wine, a dry white, like the recipe calls for, and white zinfandel in place of the sherry. This makes a decent batch and is delicious each time you have it.  It's really great served with grilled cheese as well.  ENJOY!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment