Friday, January 27, 2012

Corn and Shrimp Chowder

Dorothy Lynch was my favorite salad dressing when I was kid. It was the only dressing I would eat on my salads. Several months ago, my sister told me she had made meatloaf using a recipe she found on the Dorothy Lynch bottle. That got me thinking as to what other recipes were available using this dressing. I checked out the website and found this recipe of Corn and Shrimp Chowder. It is absolutely delicious. The dressing gives it a sweet taste at first and the cayenne pepper gives it a little kick in the end. I had also never cooked with arugula before. I have always heard that it has a peppery taste and I really enjoyed it. It helped to balance out the sweetness of the dressing. I am hoping to have the time to try some more new recipes this weekend. If not, I will be next weekend as I make some good snacks for the Super Bowl. ENJOY!

1 ½ - 2 cups frozen sweet corn kernels
4 slices bacon
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 tsp salt1 tsp smoked paprika
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 TBSP all-purpose flour
2 medium baking potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 cups 2% milk
1 cup Dorothy Lynch Home Style Dressing
1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 cups baby arugula or other peppery greens (mache, mustard or turnip greens)

Directions
Cook bacon in large Dutch oven. Remove from pan, leaving drippings in Dutch oven. Drain bacon and crumble. Add onion, corn, salt, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper to bacon drippings. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add flour, whisking well. Cook for 2 minutes. Add potatoes, milk and Dorothy Lynch. Cook 10 minutes or until thick and creamy. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Stir in arugula. Serve with crumbled bacon.


No comments:

Post a Comment