Friday, April 13, 2012

Banana Spice Bread

The best way to use overly ripe bananas is to make banana bread. Last week I had some bananas sitting on the table that had gotten too ripe for me to eat, so I decided to make some banana bread. I have not found a favorite banana bread recipe, so I'm always trying new ones. This recipe is a different take on banana bread and I must say it was delicious. The cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg really add another dimension to what would normally be just plain banana bread.

Ingredients

1/2 cup hazelnuts or walnuts (optional)
3 medium bananas
3/4 cup sugar
7 Tbsp butter, melted
1 large egg
2 Tbsp half-and-half
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch loaf pan. Finely grind the hazelnuts in a food processor. Set aside
2. Place the bananas in a large bowl. Mash the bananas. Stir in the sugar, melted butter, ground hazelnuts, egg, half-and-half and vanilla.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg in a small bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just blended.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake in the center of oven until the bread springs back lightly when touched in the center and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.




I have been trying out some new recipes, so I will gradually be getting those added to my blog. I can enroll to compete in the Iowa State Fair again starting May 1. I definitely need to be thinking about what I want to enter. I am definitely open to suggestions. :)

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment