Thursday, April 12, 2012

Herb and Garlic Focaccia Bread

I love focaccia bread. My favorite recipe of focaccia bread won first place at the Iowa State Fair in 2010. This is a different recipe and it is so delicious with all of the different herbs you can put in it. This is a recipe I found in a new cookbook. I have only tried 2 recipes out of it so far and they have both turned out fabulous. I accidentally left it in the oven a couple minutes too long, so it got a bit crispier than I would have liked, but it was still delicious.

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil, divided
1 tsp active dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
2 tsp mixed garlic

Directions

1. Combine the flour, 1 Tbsp basil, the yeast, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add 1/2 cups warm water (105 degrees-115 degrees F) and the oil. Stir until a soft dough forms, adding more water, 1 Tbsp at a time, if needed.
2. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth, 2-3 minutes. Form the dough into a 9-inch wide circle. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a pizza pan or large rimmed baking sheet. Place the dough on the prepared pan.
4. Combine the butter, the remaining basil and the garlic in a small bowl. Mix well. Make 4 score lines in the dough and spread with the butter mixture. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve warm.

I didn't have fresh herbs, so I used dried herbs and they work just as well. You will get more flavor using fresh, but dried herbs are much easier to store.



Tomorrow is my last day at GMAC. It will be a bittersweet moment. I am looking forward to the new adventure that awaits me at Wells Fargo in Des Moines, but I am really going to miss my co-workers and everyone I have become such good friends with over the past couple of years. Luke and I are still looking for a place to live but we do have some feelers out, and it will be easier to go look at places when I'm down there on a more regular basis. My parents are definitely looking forward to having me cook for them. I'm excited to have some new guinea pigs. :)

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment