Friday, October 26, 2012

All-American Corn Bread

Our busy schedule has continued. Last weekend, my sister got married and Luke and I were both part of the wedding party. I think we are all still trying to recover from an exhausting but wonderful weekend. We are looking forward to spending time with the new Mr. and Mrs. Ihle when they return from their honeymoon in Mexico. This weekend we have another wedding to attend, but this time we are just guests, so Luke and I looking forward to celebrating with everyone.

I love corn bread but I've never made it completely from scratch before. Every other time I've made corn bread, I've just used a box mix. My mom was going through all of her cookbooks and found some little booklets that she didn't want any more. I found this recipe in one of those booklets. I love finding recipes that can be baked using a cast iron skillet. Corn bread is the perfect recipe for making in a cast iron pan.

Ingredients:
2 cups biscuit mix
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup half-and-half cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten

Directions:
Combine the first five ingredients in a mixing bowl. Scald (heating to just below its boiling point) butter and cream; add to dry ingredients. Mix in eggs. Pour into a greased and floured 9-in or 10-in cast-iron skillet or a 13-in x 9-in x 2 in baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


Luke could not get enough of this and asked for a big helping for lunch the next day. Be sure to have honey on hand because it makes the perfect after dinner snack as well. ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment