Thursday, October 11, 2012

Almost Shrimp Bisque

I'm back!!! I have finally found some time to update my blog and all of you with my very busy life. As I mentioned in my last post, we moved to Grimes and are loving it. We love being so much closer to family and friends. A few weeks after moving, we found out that we are expecting baby #1 in February. We are beyond thrilled to become parents and cannot wait to meet our little one. My due date is February 24th so we are half-way there. Luke got a job working at Cintas, which is located here in Grimes, so it's nice that he doesn't have far too go to get there. We haven't been home much since moving. It seems we've always had something going on. We're looking forward to things slowing down before the baby gets here.

I have mentioned this before but Luke loves soup. I am always looking for new recipes to try. I found this recipe online and it was super easy and very delicious. The directions call to blend the soup but I didn't feel like messing with the blender so I just left everything whole. It was delicious the way I made and I'm sure it would be just as good blended as well. I would recommend using an emulsion blender instead of an actual blender if you have one, less mess that way. Serve with crusty bread or breadsticks.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 pound cooked or raw shrimp, tails removed, cut in pieces
2 cups fat-free half-and-half
1 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
1/4 teaspoon hot chile sauce, or to taste
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon butter
1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese


Directions

In saucepan, heat olive oil. Add red pepper and onion; saute on low heat until soft, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp, half-and-half, tomato sauce, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add butter.
Put 1/2 hot mixture in a blender and carefully process at high speed about 10 to 15 seconds, or until no large pieces remain. Transfer bisque into soup bowls.
Repeat with remaining mixture. Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese.
Optional garnishes: herbs and additional shrimp.


No comments:

Post a Comment