Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A take on Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

I got a new cookbook a few months ago for my birthday.  This cookbook is from the Gooseberry Patch Series and I absolutely love all of their cookbooks.  I have about 6 of them right now and I hope to continue to add to that collection.  My cookbooks are definitely going to need their own bookshelf some day.  I like cabage, depending on how it's cooked, so when I found this recipe I thought it would be something yummy to try

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 lb. ground pork
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 C. instant rice, uncooked
1 head cabbage, shredded
2 C. tomato juice, divided

In a skillet over medium heat, brown beef and sausage with onion, garlic, salt and pepper.  Drain and set aside.  Combine undrained tomatoes and rice.  Add beef mixture and mix well; transfer to a greased 13"x9" baking pan.  Place shredded cabbage on top.  Drizzle with one cup of tomato juice over cabbage.  Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes; add remaining tomato juice if needed.  Cover with aluminum foil.  Bake an additional hour, or until rice and cabbage are tender.


This is a really yummy supper and it makes a ton, so if you make it, be sure to have lots of people around or enjoy lots of leftovers.  I used V8 juice instead of tomato juice and one of my cans of tomatoes had italian seasoning in it so that added a lot of flavor to the dish.  I think that if I had only used diced tomatoes with no additional seasoning the dish would have been a little bland.  Also if you don't have ground pork, you can use 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef.  If you like cabbage and tomatoes, I hope you ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment