Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Cheesy Onion Burger Buns

I hope everyone is getting ready for Thanksgiving this week. I know I am. I am looking forward to spending time with family and eating lots of good food. I'm making spinach balls, rolls and pumpkin and cherry pies to take to my parents on Thursday. I will be trying a new roll recipe, just have to decide which one. Look for that recipe to be posted in the coming weeks.

I made these for the Iowa State Fair this year and they were delicious. I do think I had an issue with the baking time. I think I left them in the oven a little too long, because they were a little dry and the bottoms were a little too crunchy. Next time I make these, and I recommend if you try to make these too, is to set your timer for 15-20 minutes and check them to see if they are done then. These are delicious with a nice, juicy homemade hamburger.

Ingredients

1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 tsp. granulated sugar
2 C. warm water
2 C. shredded cheddar cheese
½ small onion, coarsely chopped
1 ½ tsp. salt
6-7 C. all-purpose flour

Topping:
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions

1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, 5-10 minutes.
2. Stir in cheese, onion, and salt into yeast mixture.
3. Using a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and set on low speed, beat in flour, ½ cup at a time, until a stiff dough forms.
4. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, 5 to 10 minutes, adding more flour to prevent sticking.
5. Place dough in a large greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place until double, 1 hour.
6. Grease 2 baking sheets. Punch down dough. Roll into a rope; cut into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball; flatten balls into 4-inch buns.
7. Place buns, 2 inches apart, on prepared baking sheets. Cover again; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, 45 minutes.
8. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
9. Brush buns with oil. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until golden, 25 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.


If you ever have any questions on any of my recipes, please don't hesitate to post a comment and I will try to answer them as best I can.!

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment