Monday, November 5, 2012

Old Settlers' Baked Beans

I am already looking forward to the holiday season. I have a lot of new recipes I really want to try. Luckily, Luke and I will be able to spend more weekends at home and work is starting to slow down a bit for me as well. That being said, I have a lot recipes stocked up that I need to get posted to share with all of you. This will make room for all the new recipes I plan on trying in the next couple of months.

My mom has a recipe similar to this that she calls Picnic Beans. She'll make it in the crockpot and take to family gatherings. I made this recipe earlier this year because I had a craving for it and I had all the ingredients on hand. I did end up using a full pound of hamburger, because I really don't know what to do with a leftover half pound of hamburger. This recipe is great served with a salad and any type of bread. The cornbread recipe I posted last month, would be perfect with this dish.

Ingredients

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 barbecue sauce
1 Tbsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 (16 oz) can pork and beans, undrained
1 (16 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

In a large skillet, cook beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is tender. Drain any far. Combine all remaining ingredients, except beans. Add to meat mixture; mix well. Stir in beans. Place in a greased 2-1/2 qt. casserole dish. Bake covered at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until heated through.


ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment