Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sunshine Angel Food Cake

As you all have gathered, I love to cook and bake.  For the past couple years, I have been entering baked items for judging at the Iowa State Fair.  I am proud to say I have placed with at least 1 item every year so far.  This year I won 2nd place in the angel food cake class with this recipe.  This recipe was a last minute decision and it was first time I had every made it.  I have to say it was risk that paid off.  Since it was the first time I made this cake, I have no idea what it tastes like but obviously the judges liked it.  I am looking forward to making it again soon so my friends and family can enjoy it as well.


Sunshine Angel Food Cake

6 eggs, separated
3/8 tsp. salt, divided
½ tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 ½ c. sugar, divided
1 ¼ c. all-purpose flour, divided
¼ c. cold water
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. lemon extract


In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium setting, beat egg whites until foamy.  Add ¼ teaspoon salt, cream of tartar and vanilla; beat on high setting until stiff peaks form.  Mix in ¾ cup sugar and ½ cup flour; pour batter into an ungreased 10” tube pan.  In a separate large bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon colored.  Add water, baking powder, extract and remaining salt, sugar and flour; mix well.  Pour egg yolk mixture over egg white mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes.  Serves 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment