Saturday, May 14, 2011

Chicken and Shrimp

I made this for dinner the other night.  Luke asked me to make something with chicken and shrimp and this is what I came up with.  It's really yummy and there are only 427 calories per serving.  Of course, I added my own special touches using the ingredients I had on hand.
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided

  • 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms

  • 1 onion, chopped

  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped

  • 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided

  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes

  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided

  • 1/4 cup dry white wine

  • 1 1/4 cups water

  • ground black pepper to taste

    1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute mushrooms until golden; remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
    2. Add another 2 tablespoons oil to skillet. Saute onion, garlic and shrimp until opaque. Remove from skillet and add to mushrooms.
    3. In a shallow dish or bowl mix 2 tablespoons flour with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Dredge chicken in flour to coat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and saute chicken in oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until no longer pink. Add chicken to mushroom/shrimp mixture.
    4. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet and stir in 1 tablespoon flour. Cook about 30 seconds, stirring constantly, until brown. Stir in wine, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Boil for 1 minute.
    5. Reduce heat to medium low and return shrimp and chicken mixture to skillet. Simmer for about 10 minutes, season with pepper and serve.

    I didn't have fresh mushrooms so I used canned mushrooms.  I also added peas so we could a serving a vegetables as well.  I will definitely be making this again in the future as it has all of Luke's favorite things in it.  I also served this over rice.  The rice made a great addition to the whole dish.  Enjoy!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment