Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Chocolate Mint Cookies

This year I decided to do something different. My mom used to make these cookies when I was younger and I got a craving for them. For these cookies, you need to use the Hickory Farms Melt-away mints. The only issue I ran into was that they don't make the big mints any more, only the minis. I figured the cookies would still turn out, I would just use 3-4 mini mints instead of 1 big one. Unfortunately, the minis did not melt like I expected them to, but the cookies were still delicious and everyone enjoyed them. I think next time I make these, I'll just mix the mini melts in the batter instead of putting them on top of the cookie. I also want to thank my Aunt Rebecca for sending me the recipe so that I could make these wonderful cookies. ENJOY!

Ingredients
2 1/2 C. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/3 C. packed brown sugar
3/4 C. butter or margarine
2 Tbsp. water
2 C. semisweet chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/2 to 3/4 pound pastel cream mint kisses

Directions
1. Stir together flour and baking soda. In a medium saucepan heat and stir brown sugar, butter or margarine and water over low heat until butter is melted. Add chocolate chips. Heat and stir till chocolate is melted. Pour into a large mixing bowl and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until cool.
2. Beat egg into chocolate mixture. Stir in the flour mixture till well mixed. (Dough will be soft.) Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours or till easy to handle.
3. Shape into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Remove and immediately top each cookie with a mint. Return to the oven and bake about 2 minutes more or till cookies are done. Swirl the melted mints with a knife to "frost" the cookies. Remove and cool till mints are firm. Makes about 48.

"Frosting" the cookies
Bake the cookies till they're almost done. Top each with a candy mint and put the cookies back in the oven till done. The mints will melt so that you can spread them over the tops of the cookies like frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment