Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Homemade Marshmallows

It has been a crazy month so far. I am definitely not as organized as I was last year. I am really far behind on all of my baking so I'm hoping to get a lot accomplished in the next couple days. I did get this recipe made the other day. I found the recipe on Taste of Home's website. I had always wanted to try making homemade marshmallows so I did. They were actually very easy to make. I added green food coloring to the mix to make them a bit more festive. It was a lot of fun decorating them with sprinkles and sugar. I also used some baking cocoa on some of them. I haven't eaten one yet, because I was too full from dinner, but I am definitely looking forward to trying one later today. I hope everyone is enjoying all of the preparations for the holidays. I know I am. And now that I have water again, since the valve broke yesterday, I am looking forward to getting a lot of baking accomplished tonight. ENJOY!

Ingredients
2 teaspoons butter
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water, divided
2 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon clear Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
Optional toppings: melted chocolate, hot fudge and/or caramel ice cream topping
Optional garnishes: baking cocoa, confectioners' sugar, crushed assorted candies, chopped nuts, colored sugars and/or sprinkles

Directions
Line a 13-in. x 9-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with butter; set aside.
In a large metal bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup water; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt and remaining water. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage).
Remove from the heat and gradually add to gelatin. Beat on high speed until mixture is thick and the volume is doubled, about 15 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Spread into prepared pan. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 6 hours or overnight.
Using foil, lift marshmallows out of pan. With a knife or pizza cutter coated with cooking spray, cut into 1-in. squares. Dip or drizzle marshmallows with toppings if desired; coat with garnishes as desired. Roll other marshmallows in the garnishes of your choice. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place. Yield: about 9-1/2 dozen.

Nutrition Facts: 1 marshmallow (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 22 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.


No comments:

Post a Comment